Tuesday, July 8, 2008

THINGS I FOUND IN MY NEW HOUSE

I took possession of my new house on Sunday. Which is VERY exciting! This is my very first house, owned by me and no one else.

Needless to say, I have been busy cleaning and getting things arranged for the big move on the 19th. Here are some things I found in the house that were left behind by the previous owner(s).

A lovely built-in bench on the deck in the back yard.


Next to the deck is a huge sandbox. Given that a neighbour told me there are a number of cats in the area, I am sure this has become a giant litterbox.... yuck.... so it will become a patio instead. I am thinking of putting in a stone firepit so built in to the patio would be a lovely idea!


In the basement, a can of Stop Leak (that obviously didn't do a thing to stop the grey paint from leaking all over the place...), some lantern oil (and no lantern), and a can of WD40 (with no little straw)... plus a nut (but no bolt...).


In the basement was this long case, which I mistook for a map or document case.


Lo and behold.... it holds a brand new, never been used fishing rod!


I have not figured out why this fishing rod is called an 'Ugly Stik' - it looks fairly trim and attractive (as far as fishing rods go, but I am no fisherwoman)...


This is a bit of a nightmare! I found a 15 amp outlet wired in on the same cable as the 30 amp dryer outlet!


Needless to say, this has to go. I have a friend who has his electrical ticket, as he is in the elevator trade, so in exchange for a (future) home cooked meal or two, he will be coming over to disconnect the 15 amp outlet and rewire the dryer outlet so that everything will be kosher and (much more importantly) safe!


One of the smaller bedrooms has this on the outside of the door.... makes you wonder who (or what... eek!) they were trying to keep inside!


I wasn't expecting a microwave, but it works and I needed one, so what the hey! The roll of film and pot lid are not needed, so I think they will get tossed.


The basement recroom is finished in lovely retro 70s stylings, complete with mirrored tiles on the wall...


... some of which are surrounded by lovely chocolate brown cork tiles.... gag me! LOL!


Another neat find is this under the cupboard mounted radio in the kitchen. I have made good use of it already, listening to tunes while cleaning and puttering.


I poked the camera outside the bedroom window to take this shot... a satellite tv dish that I probably won't use.... just don't watch enough tv.... but in the dead of winter when it is -40 bazillion degrees, one never knows....


In the basement recroom, there is a mass of cables apparently connected to whatever type of entertainment centre they had down here - I don't even know what they are all for...


The livingroom has a similar mass of cables, with at least forty feet coiled up.... they must have had a portable tv that they walked around with.... can't figure out why you would have this much cable otherwise....


In the powder room on the main floor was a bottle of gently foaming antibacterial hand soap.... scent: warm vanilla sugar.... it is so sickly sweet and cloying that I can't stand it... so it is history now!


All three bedrooms have phone jacks.... and they are originals for sure! I think I will get the phone company to at least attached them to the wall somewhere...






The next step will be painting the livingroom.... and the brilliant blue bedrooms (2).... and the totally grey kitchen.... all in good time... and hopefully I will have the energy for all this! But hey... it is mine (well, and the bank's... can't forget about the bank....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts floated through the ether...